Monday, October 11, 2010

Yogurt Pancakes (4 Star)

Does anybody else out there like pancakes? I must say that I like them a lot, hot, crisp, and moist with butter and syrup. I think pumpkin pancakes still top my pancake world, but these are a very close second.

But beware of the yogurt syrup in this recipe because it is out of this world (pancake world?). The first time I made these pancakes I made the yogurt syrup to go with them but I didn't take pictures. The second time I made these pancakes, when I did take pictures, I did not make the syrup because most of my boys wanted regular maple syrup (a perfect example of how wacked out their taste buds are). And because the first time I made the yogurt syrup turned out to be a trial of my will-power (a losing one because all I wanted to do was to eat the syrup with a spoon--and "caramel" is actually a better word for this "syrup") it was in my own self interest that I not make it again very soon. What I am trying to say is; this yogurt syrup (caramel) is heavenly (or devilish, depending on your point of view).




Okay, back to the pancakes. I found this recipe on Favorite Family Recipes blog and because I altered it, I am posting it here. I made them whole wheat and omitted the 1/2 cup of butter (!!! My regular pancake recipe has no oil or butter in it and is fabulous so I didn't think these would need it either and they didn't. I imagine they are probably good with it, but they were awesome without and I definitely don't need that much butter inside me.)

Yogurt Pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 - 3 cups plain yogurt (or 2 c. buttermilk)
1/2 - 1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a wire whisk until fairly smooth but don't over mix. There can still be some lumps. If it seems too thick, add milk a little at a time until it reaches a good "pancake batter" consistency. Cook on a hot, buttered griddle as you would any other pancake.

Yogurt Syrup

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup butter
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring first four ingredients to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir constantly for 5 minutes. Add baking soda and vanilla. Remove from stove and serve over pancakes, waffles or french toast. (The syrup will be thin-- this is normal. After it cools off a bit it thickens up. Store any extra syrup in the fridge for later use.)
**The baking soda will make it boil high so make sure you use a large pot.***

I did not alter the syrup recipe at all and let me just remind you; YUM.

For the original recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment