Monday, October 11, 2010

Pork Fried Rice (3 Star)

Pork Fried Rice is one of my old standby recipes. It is a great meal to get those loathsome veggies into the kiddos. Most of my kids like this and the veggies are so small that they are too difficult to pick out or even taste separately, so down the hatch they go. Fried rice takes some prep work but it comes together really fast like a stir fry. So have all the elements ready and waiting before the eats meet the heat. (Like my rhyme?)



This recipe is from my "Minute Meals" cookbook and supposedly only takes 20 minutes to make but it always takes me at least double that time. I think I'm just slow. I am including the recipe here with my changes (because, of course, I made some).

Pork Fried Rice

1 lb trimmed pork loin diced into 1/4 inch cubes (I have also used pork roasts or chops or ribs [all boneless] with great success here. But currently what I use is my homemade fried rice sausage.)
2 medium to large carrots, finely chopped
2 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
3-4 Tablespoons chopped ginger root
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons prepared chili paste (I use Korean gochujang available in Asian markets)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
3-4 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons water
4-5 cups cooked rice (I use brown)
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil

Line all foods and condiments up in the order in which they will be added to the pan. Heat a large wok or heavy skillet over high heat. I don't have a wok and I find a 12 inch skillet too small so I use a large electric skillet.

Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and when hot add the pork. Cook until no longer pink, about three minutes. Stir the meat only occasionally so that it will caramelize and brown. Add the ginger and chili paste and stir fry for 30 seconds. Pour the pork mixture into a bowl and set aside. Place the pan back over high heat. If using my homemade fried rice sausage, just fry up the sausage, scrambled fashion, until browned. Omit the ginger and chili paste and proceed with pouring the meat into a bowl when finished cooking.

Add 3 more Tablespoons olive oil to the pan. When hot, add the carrots and broccoli and stir-fry until not quite tender, about 1 minute. Add the scallions, 1 Tablespoon of the soy sauce, and water and cook until it is almost evaporated, about 1 minute.

Add the rice, corn, peas, and pork to the pan, toss to mix, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with more soy sauce to taste. Add more oil or water around the edges if the rice sticks. Add the sesame oil and toss to combine. Mound the fried rice on a platter and serve.

This recipe makes a lot--around 12-13 one cup servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment