Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chicken Nuggets (2 Star)

These are chicken nuggets that hide a multitude of veggies and are made a super quick and easy way. My way was even easier than the recipe, courtesy of Cheeky Kitchen, but not nearly as cute. I'm not all that great at cute but I sure did want easy.

Half of my boys loved these, half were not so thrilled. But this is one of those recipes that can be changed a million ways to suit your tastes, so I think if I tweak the seasonings a little more next time I may get more likers.



The ratio of veggies and egg to chicken turned out a tad runny for me so I changed things up a bit. And I increased the recipe quite a bit and used what veggies I had on hand.

Chicken Nuggets

1/3 head medium green cabbage
1/2 head medium cauliflower
2 medium carrots
2 eggs
2 1/2 lbs. ground chicken
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 dashes liquid smoke
2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
Salt & pepper to taste

Put the veggies and eggs in a blender. Blend until pureed. Pour puree into a large bowl. Add the ground chicken, sea salt, onion powder and liquid smoke. Mix together with a fork or hands until well mixed. Butter a large cookie sheet. Spread a layer of half of the bread crumbs onto the buttered pan and salt and pepper lightly. Drop spoonfuls of the chicken mixture on top of the bread crumbs and then carefully spread it with a spatula until the chicken mixture covers the pan in about a half inch layer. Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs over the chicken layer. Salt and pepper the bread crumbs lightly. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or just until the chicken is cooked through. Cut into squares or diamonds using a pizza cutter and serve with ranch dressing or barbecue sauce.

For the original recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment