Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ribollita (0 Star)

I have never cooked anything using kale before and I don't think I have ever eaten it before, either. So this was an adventurous recipe for me but I decided to give it a try because I want to incorporate more vegetables into our diet. I'm glad I did because this soup had amazing flavor. The recipe is from 101 Cookbooks and I followed it as closely as I was capable. However, my kale doesn't look the same so there must be some difference between the kale that I bought and the "cavolo nero (lacinato kale, Tuscan kale)" that her recipe calls for. Unfortunately, I must say that I am not quite a fan of the kale. The flavor was good in the soup but the texture seemed a little tough to me. Brandon said he liked it, though. So, being ignorant about kale, I don't know if it was poor quality or if that's just how kale is. And, my soup did not look the same as her soup even though I did my best to follow the recipe precisely. (I won't mention what my boys said this soup looked like.) Also, there are no olives in my soup because I thought there were some in my pantry but there weren't.

But don't get me wrong--this soup was really good and I plan to make it again but next time I will be sure to have olives and I will look harder for the kind of kale that is specified.






The Rosemary bread that I made to go with this soup is from Bird Food (my sister in law, Heidi's, blog) and this is the second time in a week that I've made it so that shows how much I like it. This time, instead of white flour, I made it with 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour and I had to increase the water by about 1/4-1/3 cup. It turned out very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment