Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Current Favorite Chili (3 Star)



This is a hearty, thick, rich chili with some kick but not enough kick to make Brandon and I even close to uncomfortable. It was a tad too spicy for our little guy (even though I had already toned it down from the recipe), but he still ate it with lots of chips and water and exclamations of "Hot! Hot!" Three out of the four boys liked this. The recipe I used is here, from Allrecipes, called Boilermaker Tailgate Chili.

As usual, I made some alterations (for personal taste and also because of what we had on hand) and here they are:

Instead of the recommended meat I used:
1 pound of homemade sausage and
1 13 oz can of beef, undrained (the beef broth taking the place of the beer)

Omitted the beer.

Instead of the chili beans:
2 cans drained pinto beans
1 can drained black beans
1 can drained white beans

Instead of the canned tomatoes:
28 oz pureed frozen tomatoes (from our garden)

Decreased cayenne pepper to 1/4 tsp.

Increased sugar to 1-2 Tbsp and used brown sugar.

Added 1 Tbsp cocoa powder.

Added 1+ cup of homemade salsa that I happened to have in the fridge.

The first time I made this I cooked it in the crock pot on low for about six hours and it was great. The second time I cooked it on the stove because I didn't plan so well, and it turned out great, too, but it was better in the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment