Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Best Whole Wheat Bread Ever (4 Star)

Is there anything better than hot, buttered bread, fresh out of the oven? I don't think so.









This bread is a staple around here. I make it almost once a day.

Since we have a wheat grinder, courtesy of my grandma, I am able to grind my own wheat. I like to use a 50/50 blend of hard white wheat and hard red wheat. I used to use just white wheat because I liked the fluffy, light quality of bread that it made but now I prefer a little more chewy denseness and a more "wheaty" flavor.

I use my bread maker on the dough setting to mix and rise it--all I have to do is dump the ingredients in and push the button--no proofing or even warm water to mess with. When it's finished I bake it in the oven because I think the bread maker over-does it. From the oven it comes out tender and chewy inside with a crisp (but not overdone) crust.

My recipe is adapted from Brandon's Aunt Mona's recipe.

Whole Wheat Bread

1 2/3 cups water (temp doesn't matter in the bread maker)
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 cup sugar or honey
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4+ cup vital wheat gluten flour
2 teaspoons yeast

Put everything into the pan in this order and turn on the bread maker to the dough setting. When the cycle is finished, shape into one large loaf or cut in half to make two mini loaves and place in greased pan(s). Turn on the oven to 350 degrees to let it preheat while the bread rises. Allow to rise for 15-20 minutes or until just peeking over the edge of the pan. Bake for 33 minutes for one large loaf or 27 minutes for two minis.

Of course, this recipe could be made without a bread maker, too--just make it as you would a typical loaf of bread, proofing, kneading, rising, etc. and then rise and bake as instructed above.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment