Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Amazing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (3 Star)

I found the recipe for these cookies on 101 Cookbooks and they are named something else but I am naming them "amazing" because they are. Let me tell you why:

a. They have no sugar (except in the chocolate chips).
b. They have no eggs.
c. They have no flour.
d. They have a small amount of oil.
e. They taste great!

I really like them. I have made them a lot. They do taste healthy compared with a typical sugar, butter, flour cookie, so don't expect them to taste like that. But they have a nice, soft, chewy texture (most cookies I've tried with such a low amount of oil added have a rubbery, dry texture) and a nutty, lightly sweet flavor punctuated with the chocolate. So if you are trying to reduce sugar intake or just want a healthy snack, these are great. They are not low calorie but the calories are nutritious. I have previously made them completely sugar free by using raisins and dried cranberries instead of the chocolate chips and I thought that was really good, too.

None of my boys hated these cookies but none of them were really excited about them, either. Only one boy asked for more. So I'm rating this 3 Star even though no one was repulsed. The banana flavor was complained about a little so next time I might try replacing the banana with applesauce. As for Brandon and myself, we enjoy them.



No comments:

Post a Comment