Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pumpkin Pie (3 Star)

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Gathering with family and eating a fantastic meal is enough to make me happy. Thanksgiving food is so comforting and tasty, and I especially look forward to the pie. This year I made several pies and will post all of the recipes I used. The humble pumpkin pie is one of the most popular at our gatherings and is one of my first picks.




I am a big fan of using fresh pumpkin, not canned in my pumpkin pies. I realize that takes a little more effort but to me it is very much worth it. The flavor is so much more fresh. And I have a little secret about my pies this year. I actually used pureed butternut squash. So I guess if you want to get technical, it wasn't really pumpkin pie. But I don't think anyone could tell the difference. At least if they could, nobody said so. I, personally, couldn't tell. If anything, it was better. I've actually been using butternut squash puree in the place of pumpkin in other recipes, too, just because I have a lot of it in my freezer.



This is from my mom's recipe file and I believe hails from her mother. I altered it a little by using half white sugar and half brown.

Grandma's Pumpkin Pie
(makes two pies)

2 unbaked 9-9.5 inch pie crusts

4 eggs
3/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large can of pumpkin or 3 cups fresh
1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk (one 12 oz can) You could use half and half or cream in place of the evaporated milk.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the first eight ingredients and beat until fluffy and stiff. Add the pumpkin and milk and mix very well. Pour the filling into the two pie crusts, dividing evenly. Bake for fifteen minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for fifteen minutes more, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool completely before serving (I actually like it better the second day) and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment