Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Deluxe Pumpkin Pie (4 Star)



It is time to say goodbye to the Thanksgiving pies, until next year. (Sniff.) This is the last pie I that I made. I made it on a whim because I had all my other pies made, but I had one more pie pan and some left-over crust--just enough for one more pie, and I decided I couldn't let it go to waste. I had seen this recipe and I had all the ingredients for it except for the gingersnaps for the gingersnap streusel topping, so I made a different topping. When I make this again, I will be sure to get the gingersnaps, because I think that would be even better than the streusel that I improvised.



This pie turned out really good, though not as popular as the regular pumpkin pies. (Of course not! Nothing can take the place of regular pumpkin pie--unless it's butternut squash pie:) It was much more rich and the pumpkin was less conspicuous with the other flavors, but the flavors were delicious together.



The original recipe was for mini pies, so I altered it to make one big pie. And the name was too long, so I shortened it. When people asked what kind of pie it was, I didn't want to have to say, "Cream Cheese and Butterscotch Pumpkin Pie with Ginger Streusel Topping." So here it is:

Deluxe Pumpkin Pie
(makes one pie)

1 unbaked 9-9.5 inch pie shell

Cream Cheese Layer
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Pumpkin Filling
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2+ teaspoon cinnamon
1/2+ teaspoon nutmeg
pinch cloves
pinch ginger
pinch salt
1/2+ teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup half and half or cream
1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup chopped pecans
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup softened butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread on the bottom of the pie shell. Sprinkle the butterscotch chips in an even layer on top of the cream cheese.

Clean out the mixing bowl and beat the sugars, eggs, spices, salt, and vanilla on high speed until fluffy and stiff. Add the half and half or cream and the pumpkin and mix until well combined. Pour on top of the cream cheese and butterscotch chips.

Put the pie in preheated oven and set timer for 50 minutes. While baking, clean out the mixing bowl and combine all of the streusel ingredients except the butter. Mix until combined. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. After the pie has baked for about 50 minutes or until the filling is beginning to set, remove the pie from the oven and allow the filling to set for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the streusel on top and return to the oven and bake for another 25 minutes, until the pie is completely set and the streusel is golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.



Thanks to Picky Palate and Prudence Pennywise for the original recipes. Click here and here to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment