Monday, January 31, 2011

Rosemary Hummus (0 Star)

One of my goals for this year is to eat more veggies, especially fresh ones. I normally am not too excited about eating them plain, though--a dip is essential for me. However, since many dips are so high calorie and not so great on the "healthy" scale, I've been interested in finding some dips that I love that are more healthy and lower calorie. This hummus was a good fit.

I'm not a big hummus fan and my previous attempts at making it have been bad enough that I threw them away. But I thought I would make another attempt and this one I liked.

This was a very easy recipe and one thing that I liked about it was the absence of sesame tahini--a common hummus ingredient. I didn't have any on hand and it can be pricey, so I was glad to not have to deal with it. I also didn't have fresh rosemary so I just used about a half teaspoon of dried rosemary.



Rosemary Hummus
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

•2-½ Tablespoons olive oil
•½ teaspoon dried rosemary
•30 ounces canned garbanzo beans, drained
•⅓ cups plain Greek (or regular) yogurt
•1 teaspoon lemon juice
•1 whole garlic clove, peeled
•1 teaspoon salt
•¼ teaspoons pepper

Place the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Once smoking, sprinkle the dried rosemary into the oil and flash-fry for maybe a couple of seconds. Remove from the heat, and immediately pour the hot oil and rosemary into a small heatproof cup or bowl. Allow to cool a bit before adding this to the other ingredients.

Place the garbanzo beans in the food processor with the yogurt, rosemary-infused oil (cooled), lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree to desired consistency.

Click here for the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment