Monday, February 8, 2010

Grandma's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (4 Star)

There are many good cookies in this world. But no matter how good other cookies are, I always come back to these, my absolute favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I grew up on these as did my mother. I don't know where my Grandma got the recipe. I should ask sometime.

My second-born made these cookies yesterday and I'd say he did a good job. Although my boys love these cookies they only like the inferior version that includes just chocolate chips. The ultimate version is loaded with walnuts and raisins as well.

Grandma's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
4 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the above ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Then add 1 3/4-2 cups flour and mix well. This should make a stiff batter that still pours. Then add:

4 cups oats (regular or quick, based on preference)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup raisins
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Mix together and drop by Tablespoonful onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes. Perfection of these cookies is chewy and a tad doughy in the middle when they come out of the oven. Some may beg to differ with me on this point, but they are wrong. The cookies firm up as they cool but remain soft.





Sometimes I also use a variation that has half the fat and is still very good. Instead of the oil, use:

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup applesauce
omit the milk

Instead of 4 cups of oats, use 2 1/2 cups.

Otherwise, proceed as above.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. Thanks for posting this recipe, I seemed to have misplaced it. I've been wondering how it would be to replace a few of the oats with coconut...
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete